My Lollapalooza, part 2

Day 2 of Lollapalooza was met with some hesitation. I was still recovering from the heat exhaustion from the night before, and not looking forward to the 100+ temps of the day.

My girlfriend really wanted to see OkGo, which was fine except that they were the first act on Sunday. They played a pretty good set and ended it with a crowd-pleasing dance number.


More after the jump.

After OkGo we ended up wandering across the street to the much less populated Planet stage, where we saw DeSol, a fantastic Latin rock band. The Latin rock combined with the scorching heat made for a really good time. It was like we were in Havana, Cuba. Not the jaded indie crowd either – many people were dancing to the infectious rhythm that was emanating from the stage. It was definitely my favorite part of the whole festival.


We moved along to the “Eye Candy” stage, where experimental music was being played. A huge drum apparatus, an earth harp, and some other unusual instruments were featured.


Shortly after we saw this both my girlfriend and I started to feel the effects of the heat. We ducked into a cooling bus and cooled off a bit, and then we decided to seek food somewhere with air conditioning. We left the park for a while and ate at Artist’s Cafe and tried to cool off. We noticed we were sunburned (she much more badly than I – her sunburn is blistering today). After eating we ducked into the Congress Plaza Hotel lobby to bask in the air conditioning there, but it seemed like there was no where that we could go that would be cool enough.

We ended up going back in time for the Arcade Fire.


Halfway through their set I noticed my girlfriend not looking so good. We both said “fuck this heat,” and promptly left. Every inch of shade in the park was occupied by someone. There were lines for the cooling bus. Lollapalooza, where were the misting tents?

I was a little disappointed that we left early, but the overall experience was a good one. Oh, and to the unknown person who lost your bracelet: Sorry dude. To the guy who we subsequently sold it to: Thanks for the $20.

5 Comments so far

  1. steven (unregistered) on July 26th, 2005 @ 2:55 pm

    Which camera did you use for these shots? Didn’t seem like the staff checked anything depending on which entrance you used, and they said no cameras with interchangeable lenses.

  2. roderick (unregistered) on July 26th, 2005 @ 3:15 pm

    I used my girlfriend’s Canon Powershot SDSD300 Digital Elph. It is a pocket sized digicam. I did see a few people with SLRs though.

  3. Jason (unregistered) on July 26th, 2005 @ 3:48 pm

    Where’s Andrew? Is he not in the band anymore?

  4. Bill V (unregistered) on July 26th, 2005 @ 4:01 pm

    That did not sound like much of a second day, not really much there to even write about.

  5. Erica (unregistered) on July 26th, 2005 @ 10:01 pm

    Andy quit the band late last year, I think, and Burleigh–who was the non-mentioned 5th member–became the mentioned 4th.

Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.